Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

Today is the fortieth anniversary of Earth Day. Back in 1970 some activists suspected that it was an establishment plot to divert young people from more meaningful protest activities. All in all, I think it is a great idea although recently some are touting nuclear power plants as a “green” alternative to dirtier power plants. Over the years the TV show “Sesame Street” did much to make kids aware of the importance of protecting the planet environmentally. It is rare to see someone litter the road with fast food wrappers and other such trash. Recycling goes on in most areas; and where once we would have put an old TV out in the trash, now we’ll take it to a more appropriate location. In a more cynical vein Fred McColly on Facebook commented thusly on a New York Times article about Earth day being big business: "i simply adore the way capitalism comoditizes everything it touches...the environmentally aware deformed into shills."

On Tuesday a grad student in Sociology from Loyola, Victoria Brockett, was looking through my Sixties Steel Shavings on Race Relations. She has an ambitious project in mind having to do with suburban racial attitudes. I gave her copies of my Gary and Portage issues and warned her that it’s very hard to get people to be candid about the subject. As in many matters, actions are more important than words. She seemed very competent and the theory-based analysis that she explained to me went over my head. I told her that my research was more anecdotal than theoretical. Archives volunteer Maurice Yancy talked to her for quite a while. He’s good at having visitors sign in and put down how we might get back to them. Last week, Steve told me, Ray Boomhower from the Indiana Historical Society was doing research on Congressman Jim Jontz, whose papers are in the Archives, and asked about me. Another recent visitor named Luz is daughter-in-law Delia’s cousin and hopes to do an oral history of Puerto Rican-Americans living in Northwest Indiana. In 1948 U.S. Steel recruited workers from Puerto Rico and housed some of them initially in Pullman cars.

Yesterday I stayed home and went through old albums and CDs with Toni in preparation for our move. I had no recollection of buying two Talking Heads albums or the Psychedelic Furs. I’ve heard Workingman’s dead and the Stones Psychedelic album “Their Satanic Majesties Request” might bring a high price on the Internet. I am going to part with most albums (many I have on CD), but some, such as the Shoes albums, I decided to keep. . On the other hand, I kept almost all my CDs. I even had a Four Tops album signed by guys from Boys Village of Maryland, a school for delinquents where I taught for three summers. I’d let them play it if they behaved themselves. There were some choir robes in the closet that they’d put on before breaking out into Motown-type routines.

Today is also Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day. Michelle Obama is hosting a function at the White House. I can’t recall having such a practice when my kids were young, but it seems to be a good idea – for most jobs. A couple months ago, an air traffic controller at JFK Airport had his kid giving instructions to pilots that they were safe to take off. A couple years ago, Jonathyne Briggs had his daughter with him throughout the day.

Got the following email titled “Blast from the Past” from Joe Slacian: Dr. Lane: I don't know if you remember be, but I had you for a few classes at IUN back in the late '70s. In fact, we worked together on the Phoenix when you were advisor. Got a phone call tonight from another former student, Terry Helton, so it got me thinking about those days. Can't believe it's been 30-plus years. Anyhow, just wanted to drop you a line and wish you and the family the best. I'm the managing editor of the newspaper here in Wabash. Jody and I have been here for about 26 years now. We've raised two girls, one graduating next week from St. Francis and the other getting ready to head off next fall to Holy Cross in South Bend.” I replied: Nice hearing from you. I remember you well and the Phoenix experience with pleasure. I saw John Petalas two weeks ago at a political function and am in touch with the Nommensen brothers. I’m glad you pursued a career in journalism. Send me your mailing address and I mail you the latest issue of Steel Shavings, which I still edit. Fondly, Jim Lane.” If he replies, I’ll probably throw in a current copy of the Northwest Phoenix. Joe was a memorable character who basically was in charge of putting the school newspaper together although John Petalas was the nominal editor and had the final say. One time Mike Nommensen drew a controversial cartoon that Petalas nixed, much to my ultimate relief since it probably would have got me in trouble as advisor. I wisely refrained from injecting my opinion in such matters even though some suspected otherwise.

1 comment:

  1. jimbo, the original cynics were on about the artificial nature of social conventions and the distortions of those who benefitted from them. i am simply carrying on an ancient tradition. is that not a reasonable thing to do? peace out

    ReplyDelete