Friday, August 7, 2020

Back to School?


 "Going back to school--

Something I looked forward to.

Now, I would fear it."

  Don Coffin


Despite Trump’s empty threat to withhold aid to schools that didn’t fully open, and his idiotic tweet, quickly taken down by Twitter and Facebook, that kids don’t contract Covid-19, educators and school boards across the country are moving cautiously. Typical of the mixed signals from Republican governors, in the absence of federal leadership, is Indiana’s Eric Holcomb, whose state superintendent of education claims classrooms will be safe while local communities do not agree.  Many have delayed the start of classes or switched to distance education; others are offering options but with strict guidelines regarding face covering sand social distancing. Most have cancelled contact sports.  IU Northwest keeps pushing back the date the university will reopen and encouraging online courses. Becca will begin her freshman year at home, while James, for the time being, plans to live on campus unless things change.


 


Teacher Charles Halberstadt wrote:

    The state of Indiana is now threatening to take 15% away from school systems who operate virtually due to the pandemic. For systems such as MC, Duneland, and Valpo that’s between $5-6 million per year, or put another way around 100 teaching positions. If you support teachers PLEASE do me a favor and contact our local representatives to tell them this unacceptable. Thanks!




I emailed incoming IUN chancellor Ken Iwama: 

    I look forward to meeting you.  Although I am an emeritus History professor, I have continued to serve as co-director of IU Northwest’s Calumet Regional Archives, which Ronald Cohen and I founded nearly 50 years ago.  While the pandemic interrupted plans to hire a successor for longtime archivist/curator Steve McShane, Cohen and I hope to meet with you at the Archives to stress its importance

    I wish you well and believe your background to be a good fit for our institution.  Previous chancellors have benefited from consulting with former faculty and administrators.  Two in particular I recommend that you seek out: former vice chancellor F. C. Richardson and former head of admissions Bill Lee.  Chancellor’s assistant Kathy Malone is also wise in the ways of the university and a pillar of the Gary community.

    Finally, I have written histories of IU Northwest (with Paul Kern) and the city of Gary and would be flattered should you request copies.

 

Chancellor Iwama wrote back:

    Thank you so much for your email. Among my many endeavors, I have worked closely with the archives at my previous institution and I value its importance.  I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you to learn more about the Archives. 

    I also thank you for providing me with several references regarding individuals with valuable knowledge. I have already experienced the value of Kathy Malone's institutional history with IU Northwest. 

    Finally, yes, I would love a copy of your written histories. I have much to learn about Gary, and I will read them with much enthusiasm and interest.  

 

I’m ready to get back on campus, not only to deliver my Gary and IUN histories to the Chancellor but to mail out magazines to scholars who’ve requested them and to work on volume 50 of Steel Shavings, tentatively titled “Calumet Region Connections in the Plague Year, 2020.”




The title of Michael C. Dorf and George Van Dusen’s biography of Illinois Congressman Sidney Yates, “Clear It with Sid,” reminded me of a 1944 Republican slogan, “Clear It with Sidney,” used against Franklin D. Roosevelt to link him with Jewish CIO leader Sidney Hillman.  House Speaker Tip O’Neill supposedly uttered the quote in reference to the Chair of the powerful House Appropriations Committee.  A liberal Democrat and son of a Lithuanian blacksmith, Yates was first elected in 1948 and retired in 1999; during that time he cared deeply about the environment, Israel, and federal support for the arts.



Knowing the film received rave reviews and that Scarlett Johansson was in it, I watched “Jojo Rabbit”,” about a ten-year-old German during WW II who admires Hitler and believes Nazi propaganda about Jews.  Then he befriends a teenage Jewish girl his mother is hiding in the attic.  An added bonus was a great soundtrack, including, in German, “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” by the Beatles, the David Bowie number “Heroes,” and the Tom Waits song “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up,” which the Ramones famously covered.


Kirsten's family


This from Kirsten Bayer-Petras:

  Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow many friends of ours begin school in a way we have not navigated as parents.  Sadako Sasaki believed folding paper cranes would grant a wish and protection.  Our uncertainty, anxiety, and fears as parents sending kids to school all come from wanting to protect each other from something that still is somewhat unknowing.  As a symbol of protection, I share a paper crane with all of you.

    Peace and love

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

    ReplyDelete