Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oral Histories

Interviewed Lake County Sheriff Roy Dominguez Monday for a book we’re doing. He loves the political process and is a great storyteller. His latest efforts are on behalf of his nephew Alex Dominguez, who is a candidate for circuit court judge in the wake of Judge Lorenzo Arredondo’s impending retirement. In recent weeks Dominguez has buried the hatchet with three former political enemies and is positioning himself to have Lake County Democrats united behind him should he decide to run for governor in 2012.

Because a search is underway for a new chancellor at IUN, talk at the faculty lunch table revolved around the two candidates (one is an Irish historian) and some of our past leaders. I recalled saying at a roast for Danilo Orescanin that his attributes included a firm handshake, an ability to hold his liquor, and (to paraphrase John Petalas) “the best line of bullshit I’ve ever heard.” Orescanin, I think, took that as a compliment. Orescanin was one of the few administrators that Chemistry professor Alan Lindmark liked, and he commented that he had read that characterization of Dan in my and Kern’s history of the university. I told him I was flattered that he had read it. My main role, in addition to being chief editor, was to do oral histories. One of the best was with Donald Young, a Labor Studies student as well as a campus policeman. He talked about catching people making out at night in the parking lot as well as other indoor places such as darkened classrooms and far reaches of the library.

Yesterday I conducted another interview in connection with an oral history of IU’s FACET program rewarding excellence in teaching. Sociologist Tanice Foltz agreed to let me and audio/visual technician Aaron Pigars and Tome Trajkovski came to her office between classes for the taping. Aaron manned two cameras because the room was too small for a second person. Tanice was excellent and quite demonstrative, getting up from her chair on several occasions to act out dances she did at FACET workshops and a talent show. At one point she mentioned that my longish hair and frilly, multicolored shirt indicated that I was telling people that spiritually I’m cool, like an old hippie.

No comments:

Post a Comment