Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Corrupt Bargain

Henry Clay helped John Quincy Adams win the election of 1824, which was decided in the House of Representatives when nobody had a majority of electoral votes. Each state had one vote, meaning that the lone Congressman from Illinois, who followed Clay’s advice, had the same importance as the entire New York Congressional delegation, which seemed evenly divided. The vote of Stephen Van Rennselaer was crucial. He was undecided until Clay got to him. Later Martin Van Buren spread the apocryphal story that Van Rennsalaer was praying for guidance when his eyes spotted an Adams ballot and took it as a sign from God. Followers of Andrew Jackson never forgave Clay, whom Adams subsequently appointed Secretary of State, dubbing the affair the “Corrupt Bargain.” Clay would have preferred Adams, bargain or no bargain, but the appointment was the biggest political mistake of both Adams and Clay’s careers. Adams’s administration was a failure, and Jackson remained a lifelong enemy. On one occasion Adams attended a play with his wife, and he was greeted first by tepid applause and then the crowd sang one of Jackson’s campaign songs, cheering and stomping their feet lustily. This was the second and final time House members selected the President. In 1801 Aaron Burr, supposedly Thomas Jefferson’s running mate, arranged for the electoral vote to be a tie but failed to persuade the Federalists to support his scheme. Georgian William H. Crawford would have been the 1824 frontrunner had he not been blinded and nearly paralyzed after being given an overdose of lobelia for a disease called erysipelas.

Lake County Sheriff Sheriff Dominguez has decided to ask Hillary Clinton to write an intro to his autobiography. They got along famously when she campaigned in Indiana during primary season. He is still going to solicit one from Senator Evan Bayh, his longtime friend and mentor. Steve McShane and I scanned numerous family photos, including one with brother Hector and Roy’s parents taken in Texas when he was about six wearing suspenders and holding a cat. Ron Cohen talked to Steve’s History of Indiana class for two and a half hours straight about the Gary schools, the subject of his book “Children of the Mill.”

The Blackhawks parade attracted approximately two million celebrants to downtown Chicago, according to some estimates. The hockey players, many in their early 20s, looked really young (most had shaved off their playoff beards). During the ceremony old timers Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, and Tony Esposito were introduced, and Kris Versteeg did a rap song that contained these lines:

“Every time, I dive in my pool 

It’s hard to be humble 

While I do a breast stroke 

Through an underground tunnel

And come up, on the other side

In a jacuzzi

Being greeted by two girls

That are wearing my Jersey!

They give me lots of hug’s and kiss’es

And they ask me what my wish is

And I say go an get your friends

Cause there is gonna be a party.

Young Versteeg took a lot of heat on various websites from rap purists, but it was in good fun, like the “Superbowl Shuffle” that Bears football players did a quarter-century ago.

On Saturday WXRT featured 1993, one of my favorite years in music. One set contained songs by Belly (“Feed the Tree”), Cracker (“Low”), Smashing Pumpkins (Today”), and REM (a cover of the Tokens’ “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”). I used to try to stay up until 2:30 a.m. Saturday to catch JBTV with legendary rock icon Jerry Bryant, which featured videos and live appearances by alternative groups. One time Belly lead singer Tanya Donelly was a guest host. Chicago bands often showed up, such as Urge Overkill, one of whose members called himself Blackie Onassis.

England and the United States playing to a 1-1 draw in the World Cup opener for both. U.S. goalie Tim Howard was great while the English keeper misplayed a shot that, according to the announcer, your average high school stopper would have saved. Audible throughout the match was a constant drone from horns called vuvuzelas. They became popular in South Africa (host of the games) during the 1990s, and their popularity spread to Latin America as well. They are frankly annoying, and some folks want to ban them from the stadiums. Good luck. Might produce riots.

Sunday I gamed (went zero for four) and attended a tenth birthday party for James. The food was great, and Darcey Wade brought her specialties, deviled eggs and tuna noodles, to everyone's delight. I was at an International Oral History Association conference in Istanbul when he was born. The conference often coincided with World Cup play, and I recall the bedlam the year son Phil and I were Rio De Janeiro. In the afternoon the rain held off, and I won four straight croquet matches against Dave, Tom and Brady Wade. Normally my son and Tom are my equals, but I was on fire. Once poison I’d knock them out from very far away. As I told Tom in a rehash, it’s not the equal of winning a straight set tennis match or pitching both ends of a softball doubleheader sweep, but it beats shuffleboard. It reminded me of a horseshoes triumph at a Glen Park Eagles pig roast. Tykey and I beat all comers for over an hour. A tournament was scheduled for later in the day (I couldn’t stay for it), but as I was leaving I noticed that Tykey had crossed out the name of his original partner and substituted mine.

I drove Becca to an IUN Kids College class on Hip Hop and Jazz Dance (she loved it) and afterwards showed her around campus. She loved my computer, obtained as the result of a bargain I worked out with FACET director and Vice Chancellor David Malik. On Facebook we found photos of her posted by Dave, Angie, Delia, and Miranda. I had time to check my emails. From Barcelona Alissa wrote: “Glad you checked out Air and Hot Rats!!!! What Gaard said (not all life is wasted on the young and Alissa is proving it. You go, girl) actually just made my day, I shared it with the girls and they felt the same way. LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!! “ From San Diego niece Niki added: “Alissa sounds very cool! I really like her already. Please bring her to meet me. I have an idea where she gets her super coolness from..... Jimbo and Toni!” Terry Jenkins chipped in: “What a fantastic way to travel - big step up from hostels since you get to meet the locals in their own homes.” Suzanne wrote: “That was a great story from your gran daughter.” Becca and I had lunch at Burger King, purchasing a total of five value meal items for five bucks plus 35 cents tax. After I dropped her off, I bought a 32-inch Sylvania TV at Target on sale for $329. Toni gave me a high five when I brought it in the house.

Got a collect call from Cook County jail in Chicago. Before I was asked about accepting the charges I had to listen to an interminable message, all the while wondering if someone I knew had gotten in trouble, perhaps for drunk driving. Finally a stranger came on the line – a wrong number. Toni said I shouldn’t have agreed to accept the charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment