Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Head Full of Doubt

“There’s a darkness upon me that’s flooded in light
In the fine print they tell me what’s wrong and what’s right.”
Avett Brothers

On his way from New York to Michigan Tom Horvath dropped by with wife Sirrka and young kids Annika and Julius. Earlier they visited Donna and Bob Satkowski, daughter-in-law Beth’s parents. Joining us were Dave Joseph (“Sly”) and Angie and the kids (Dave was bowling). Sly taped the Grammys but hasn’t watched it yet. I told him about Dylan performing with Mumford and Sons and the Avett Brothers, who also did “Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise.” Some think it is about a guy coming out of the closet. I had last seen Tom at last year’s LINT reunion concert. When LINT performed in teen clubs 25 years ago, Tom and I would start dancing to get the crowd up; at the reunion concert he again pulled me up to get the ball rolling. At the band’s first reunion concert in the Portage Holiday ballroom after their freshman year in college Toni and I provided nonalcoholic drinks, figuring those over 21 could go to the bar across the hall. Without asking our permission but seeing a chance for tips, waitresses began taking orders but then told the cop on duty that customers were buying drinks for underage companions. Suddenly a policeman was asking Sly for his i.d. “It’s out in my car,” he replied. “Then go get it,” the cop snapped at him. I expected Sly to take off, but he came back with a driver’s license with his photo and the name José Gomez. The cop looked at it and said, “O.K., José.”

Closed the car door and banged it against my shin. I had decided to go inside and pack yogurt and cookies and had inadvertently gotten in harm’s way. I half expected a bloody gash when I lifted up my pants leg. It hurt like hell for a few minutes, but I only slightly broke the skin. Stupid move similar to when I sliced open my ear in Grand Rapids tripping over a trash container. I left IUN early after it started snowing. The Tri-State was stop and go with at least a half-dozen cars in ditches or involved in fender benders. I tried to stay in the middle lane, but a car ahead of me was going at a snail’s pace and a truck was bearing down on me. I moved to the left lane and for a second skidded slightly. Shudder! Made it home safely. Caught the end of a Black Hawks President’s Day matinee game, a 5-3 victory over the Blues to get them back in the NHL playoff hunt. Feared I’d been indiscreet recently, but it was just my imagination. Sigh of relief – head’s no longer full of doubt.

For school James is reading “Scat” by Carl Hiassen, one of my favorite authors. Young Nick and Marta lead an effort to investigate the disappearance of biology teacher Bunny Starch during a field trip to Black Vine swamp in the Everglades. Villainous oilmen are bent on destroying the environment and killing an endangered panther. After Nick’s father returns from Iraq missing his right arm, Nick binds up his own arm so they can learn to be lefties together. The book combines humor, mystery, and ecological awareness. Darcey Wade originally turned me on to Carl Hiassen’s books and commented: “He ranks right up there as the greatest author ever. His adult books are even better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment