Friday, May 25, 2012

Mad Men


“I woke up this mornin’
And none of the news was good
And death machines were rumblin’
Cross the ground where Jesus stood.”
    “Jerusalem,” Steve Earle

 “John Walker’s Blues” on Steve Earle’s 2004 CD “Jerusalem,” which I’ve been playing recently, spurred controversy because of its sympathetic treatment of the so-called “American Taliban” John Walker Lindh.  While its doubtful that Lindh ever did anything threatening to the U.S. other than be at the wrong place at the wrong time, he was brutalized when our troops took him prisoner and handed a 20-year prison sentence.  He’s in a prison in Terre Haute, studying ancient Islamic texts, working on a liberal arts college degree, and recently sued to be allowed to hold daily prayer group sessions.

The last Egyptian president who tried to make peace with Israel got assassinated for his trouble.  Hope springs eternal, but the first democratic elections in Egypt ever, taking place over the past two days, will probably bring the Muslim Brotherhood to power.  The frontrunner is Mohammed Morsi, who vows to put his country on an Islamic basis.  His main rival, Ahmed Shafiq, was Mubarak’s prime minister and a law-and-order man.  Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu is so powerful Time called him King Bibi.  He’s an archconservative, but sometimes that’s what it takes to make bold breaks with the past – like Charles de Gaulle pulling France out of Algeria.

Ryan Shelton showed me how to insert photos into the Adobe template for volume 42, which includes blog entries starting in April 2010.  On the first page is a sexy shot of Lady Gaga, one of the only photos that doesn’t have a specific Region connection. 

Jonathyne Briggs walked me through how to show a video and a movie off YouTube to his two classes Thursday while he’s in Florida.  At the condo handyman Jason fixed a fan and several other things on Toni’s to-do list.  After finding the venison salami too salty for my taste, I gave the rest to him.

On “Mad Men” Don came home late after drinking and flirting all afternoon with sexy Joan, causing Megan to throw a snit fit.  It seems just a matter of time before Don cheats on her even though she is a trophy wife.  He already has in a fantasy dream.

For speaking gratis at the Maria Reiner Senior Center I got invited to the “Margaret Kuchta Spirit of Volunteerism Celebration.”  The event, named for a former mayor, was at the Hobart Community Center near Lake George, which was formed over 150 years ago when George Earle dammed Deep River to provide for his grist mill that grinded grain.  I received a pin, ate pizza, salad, and apple strudel, and told director Pam Broadaway I could talk this fall on the “Roaring Twenties in the Calumet Region.”  Entertainment was a magician, and Mayor Snedecor, whom I’d met when I talked to Kiwanians, greeted me warmly. Maria Reiner was a wealthy widow who left all her money to benefit Hobart seniors.  Born in Germany, as was her husband, whom she met at the beach, and evidently was wealthy due to something her husband invented and patented.  Childless, she died at age 94 and bequeathed her inheritance to causes that benefit Hobart seniors.

The 76ers honored Allen Iverson (AI) prior to game six of their series against Boston.  What a big heart he had during his playing days.  In 2001 with virtually no star teammates, he led Philadelphia to the NBA finals and scored 48 points in an overtime win in game one against a Lakers team led by Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal.  During the five-game series he averaged 35 points.  The crowd gave AI a thunderous ovation.  Perhaps inspired, the Sixers, coached by Doug Collins, won to force a game seven. Collins and AI are among the six most popular Sixers of all time, along with Julius Erving, Wilt Chamberlain, Moses Malone, and Charles Barkley.

I showed Jonathyne’s 11:30 class the 1994 film “Colonel Chabert,” based on an 1832 novella by Honore de Balzac.  The hero marries a former prostitute and, fighting for Napoleon, is so severely wounded at the 1807 Battle of Eylau, he’s thought to be dead and tossed into a mass grave. Years later he finds his wife married to a Restoration scumbag. The theme demonstrates the contrast between moral integrity and grasping materialism, compromise versus honor.  In the role of Chabert is Gerard Depardieu, who has played Jen Valjean in “Les Miserables” and even author Balzac.  I recall first seeing him co-starring with Andie MacDowell in “Green Card” a love affair that started out a marriage of convenience.

The afternoon movie was Russian progagandist Sergei Eisenstein’s “October: Ten Days That Shook the World” (the title taken from John Reed’s book).  Commissioned to celebrate the triumph of the Bolshevik revolution, it was first shown in 1928.  Joseph Stalin had recently purged Leon Trotsky and demanded that all positive references to him be stricken.  Since live music originally accompanied showing, a soundtrack was added in 1966.  Born in 1898, Eisenstein’s two previous movies were “Strike” (1924) and “Battleship Potemkin” (1925, the latter about a 1905 mutiny against Tsarist officers.  Perhaps his greatest film was “Alexander Nevsky” (1938), about a Russian prince who defends the motherland against an invasion led by Germanic knights.  The motive was to rally countrymen against the Nazis.  Ironically, soon after its release, Stalin signed a non-aggression pact with Hitler, and the film was suppressed.  It was re-released after Hitler callously invaded the Soviet Union.

The Hagelbergs took us to a Parkinson’s fundraiser at Avalon Manor in Merrillville.  The theme was “Evening in Paris” and a style show featured clothing from Elizabeth Fashions and John Cicco’s, the latter worn by men who, for the most part, hammed it up.  The women models, most of whom were on the planning board, including boutique owner Elizabeth Woodbury (front row, third from left), seemed to be having fun.    

Many of the blind auction items came from local merchants or the Michael J. Fox Foundation.  Two gentlemen were pouring free champagne, one so sparingly I gravitated to the other one.  I ran into Pamela Lowe, whose husband, IUN’s chancellor, is recuperating from back surgery, and filmmaker Nick Mantis, who is listening to old audiotapes of Jean Shepherd’s NY radio show and hopes to use clips in his documentary about Northwest Indiana’s “Bard” so that Shepherd would appear to be narrating.

Fred McColly was on campus to help start a community garden on property at the southwest edge of the campus that previously was a vacant lot.  I saw about a dozen folks participating when I drove to Country Lounge to have lunch with former student Jackie Gipson, who has been enjoying, as have I, watching good friends Doc Rivers and Doug Collins try to outsmart one another in the Boston-Philly series. 

A Jeopardy category entitled “Spelling by the Stars” featured the song titles RESPECT (Aretha), LOLA (Kinks), YMCA (Village People), SATURDAY Night (Bay City Rollers), and GLORIA (by Van Morrison and Patti Smith), which, surprisingly, two people missed.

7 comments:

  1. eisenstein's "ivan the terrible" parts I & II top my favorites list of his films...stalin's paranoia read the films as a critique ( ivan's paranoia seemingly hit too close to home ) and sergei would have turned to "camp dust" if his health hadn't got him first...part two is particularly odd with some experimental color footage inserted...it gets a lot of air time on the toshiba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so happy to testify of the good work of Dr. Shaibu Abacha I Suffer from Herpes virus since 2019 and i had frequent symptoms in my private area, after some time it will go away after using acyclovir drugs, then come back after some months. it was disheartening since i have been diagnosed, but after finding Dr.Shaibu Abacha and his reviews i was convinced that he will definitely cure me and so i contacted and he told me how to get his medicine and using it for just 18 days and i went for check up and at first, i said how can that be possible but i used his herbal medicine after making purchase and truly i used it and went for the test again, and my result came back negative. so i made it a task to share this good testimony in the internet so that those sick can benefit and get cured. Also contact him for other kind of Ailments....Whatsapp/call:+2349061521409

      Delete
  2. Hi everyone, my name is Rabueil Islam
     and am from London, I met this spell caster called Dr Aluya of aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago. I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone. But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating. So i contacted this spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came to my house and spend the night with me.I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr Aluya is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Aluya can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Aluya . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail: aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com    OR       aluya.48hoursspelltemple@yahoo.com  WhatsApp +2348110493039  

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m so happy to testify of the good work of Dr. Shaibu Abacha I Suffer from Herpes virus since 2019 and i had frequent symptoms in my private area, after some time it will go away after using acyclovir drugs, then come back after some months. it was disheartening since i have been diagnosed, but after finding Dr.Shaibu Abacha and his reviews i was convinced that he will definitely cure me and so i contacted and he told me how to get his medicine and using it for just 18 days and i went for check up and at first, i said how can that be possible but i used his herbal medicine after making purchase and truly i used it and went for the test again, and my result came back negative. so i made it a task to share this good testimony in the internet so that those sick can benefit and get cured. Also contact him for other kind of Ailments....Whatsapp/call:+2349061521409

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going through a divorce case is very heart broken when you love your partner with the whole of your heart. My husband left me for a total stranger and I could not imagine what the hell was happening because everything looks like a dream to me.. I was lost and confused about my life without any way to get a solution to make my husband see reasons with me that I love him so much. I was very depressed and desperate to win back my husband and I searched on GOOGLE for help about my situation and I got recommended to Lord Zakuza who is a powerful spell caster for he has so many magnificent testimonies and reviews on the internet from different people all over the world. I got in touch with him and I poured out my sorrowful heart to him and he encouraged and promised to help me out. He gave me some instructions of which a adhered to and within 48 hours of contacting Lord Zakuza my attorney called me to get me informed that the divorce case has been cancelled and I got a call from my husband 30 minutes after I finished speaking to my attorney. My husband and I are so much in Love with endless care and happiness and I so much thank Lord Zakuza for doing this for me and I know people out there might also need their partner or lovers back or want to get pregnant for your partner or husband. So, you can Text & WhatsApp Lord Zakuza on +1 740-573-9483 or email him via: ( Lordzakuza7@gmail.com ) for a change of story in your love life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am testifying of the miraculous work of a great traditional doctor called Dr maggi . I have been suffering from herpes since last 2 years with my Husband but today I am happy that am cure from it with the herbal medicine  made by Dr maggi the great healer, I was browsing the Internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr maggi cure her from Herpes Disease. I quickly contacted him to get the cure and today i am now free from the Virus, Email him now for help at drmaggiherbalhome@gmail.com you can also whatsapp  him on +19179796387

    ReplyDelete