Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Under Suspicion

“The moment there is suspicion about a person’s motives, everything he does becomes tainted.” Mahatma Gandhi
The dispiriting reports of high crimes emanating from the White House continue unabated.  What Senator Lindsey Graham dismissed as a “nothing burger” may be a tipping point in our nation’s history, one way or another, depending whether or not he gets away with it.  Ray Smock provides a historian’s perspective on what is a total disregard for the truth by Trump and his apologists.  Ray (below) wrote:
    Suspicion Always Haunts the Guilty Mind: so said Gloucester in Shakespeare’s King Henry VI, written centuries ago but still a keen observation on human behavior. In modern parlance we call this “consciousness of guilt,” where a person who has lied or otherwise committed a wrongful act, lashes out at accusers, blames others, and concludes that he or she is being persecuted unjustly and is the victim of a conspiracy.
    In the case of President Trump, the single best way to lash out at his critics and accusers, most of whom have been members of the American press, is to universally declare all news reporting (other than Fox News) to be Fake News reported by “enemies of the people.” But now, in light of the Ukraine revelations, even Fox News is taking a more aggressive and critical stance. So who is left for Trump to blame? It is forces within his own government, a giant conspiracy against him called the Deep State, which is supposedly run by holdovers from previous Democratic administrations, especially from the dreaded Obama administration.
    On the basis of the information we have learned about the telephone conversation with Ukrainian President Zelensky on July 25, President Trump used the power of his office to withhold almost $400 million in military aid from Ukraine and used this as a lever to extract a “favor” from Zelensky to get dirt on Joe Biden and his son, Hunter. It violates American law, and it brings a foreign power into our presidential election. This information became such a bombshell, such a smoking gun, that Trump and his supporters have been dumbfounded by the public reaction as well as the new impetus in Congress to formalize an already on-going impeachment inquiry.
    This new political reality came from two sources. The whistleblower report that said the president was engaged in conduct that was of such a serious nature that the whistleblower was compelled to file a formal complaint. The Trump administration immediately set out to discredit the whistleblower.
But it was the second source of information that doomed the president. In response to the whistleblower report, President Trump released a summary transcript of the July 25 call with President Zelensky. In that report, the substance of the whistleblower’s report is totally confirmed. Donald Trump, for some unknown reason, blew the whistle on himself! 
Toni and I attended the wedding and reception of Roy and Betty Dominguez’s daughter Maria to Matt Ostrowski.  At our table were four friendly couples who are Roy and Betty’s Lake Dalecarlia neighbors. Young at heart Hessville native Dan, who like humorist Jean Shepherd attended Warren G. Harding school, told Toni she must be my daughter.  Sitting next to me, a Chicago contractor named Randy introduced me to an older guy also named Randy.  Their wives were Denise and Dorothy, so they referred to themselves as R2-D2, like the Star Wars robot. Roy, addressing me, as always, as Dr. Lane, told the group that he could not have written his autobiography, Valor, without my help. The elder Randy had not known about the book and immediately ordered it on Amazon.  Learning that I had published a history of Cedar Lake (near Lake Dale), they had many questions. One I couldn’t definitively answer pertained to pylons still noticeable in the lake, possibly remnants of the ice harvesting industry or a boardwalk. They were amazed at Cedar Lake’s rich history and familiar with the disparaging nickname “Cedar-tucky,” dating to the influx of Southern white World War II defense workers unable to obtain housing in Gary or East Chicago. I told of Crown Point snobs calling Cedar Lake students “lake rats.”  IUN grad Bob Petyko was proud to be one.

I was not surprised that Roy chose “Ave Maria” for the traditional first dance with Maria.  As he wrote in “Valor”: “Maria was born August 23, 1988.  At first I wanted a son, but after my sister Maria died in 1986 [at age 36] after a long battle with leukemia], I prayed for a daughter whom we would name Maria Virginia.” The deejay played “Suspicious Minds” by Elvis Presley, followed by a combination of electronic music and traditional wedding reception numbers such as “Twist and Shout.” Despite my gimpy right knee and Toni’s weak lungs, we danced to “Footloose” by Kenny Loggins, whom we saw years ago with Phil and Delia at the Holiday Star.  

I spoke to Patrick O’Rourke, who I’ve been interviewing about his union career representing teachers.  He was seated next to Lake County Prosecutor Bernard carter, a close friend of Roy and Betty. At the family table I greeted Roy’s brother Hector, who for many years worked with Nancy Cohen and Gloria Metz as a bailiff for a Gary city judge.  They’re all still in touch, Hector told me.  Roy introduced me to Betty’s siblings, and I noted how their father, a former Philippine army officer skilled in martial arts, had been a role model to Roy, who in “Valor” called him a Renaissance man. The photographer had set up a booth and funny hats for candid shots.  Good sports that he is, Roy accommodated several groups and people, myself included who wanted one with him.

I started David McCullough’s “The Pioneers,” about the settling of the Northwest Territory, but to my disappointment it concentrates almost entirely on Ohio and contains virtually nothing about pioneer Hoosiers.  I also picked up Billie Eilish’s 2017 CD, “Don’t Smile at Me.” My favorite cut, “(I’m Not Your) Party Favor,” about a break-up phone call, begins:
Hey – call me back when ya get this
Or when you’ve got a minute
We really need to talk
My favorite lines go:
Look, now I know
We coulda done it better
But we can’t change the weather
When the weather’s come and gone
The “Don’t Smile at Me” album cover reminds me of someone at the Lake Michigan beach huddling under the lifeguard stand on a cool, windy day.  “Ocean Eyes” repeats the verse, “No fair, you really know how to make me cry when you gimme those ocean eyes.”  Eilish appeared on SNL’s season debut hosted by Woody Harrelson.  Both were great. Eilish was born Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O’Connell 18 years ago in L.A. Her latest album, “When We Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” contained a single “Bad Guy,” which replaced Lil Nas X’s 19-week run at number one with “Old Town Road.”

Rehashing weekend activities with high school friend Gaard Murphy, I mentioned that hearing an Elvis Presley number at the wedding reception reminded me of a party where drummer Doug “Duff” Roberts, Robert Hosfeld, and a couple other guys banged out hits by Presley and other original Sun Records artists that sounded fantastic to one who had never before heard live rock ‘n’ roll music in such an intimate setting.  Scanning my 1960 yearbook, I noticed that Roberts hoped to become a professional musician and signed his photo, “To a nice guy and fellow bowler.”  I have no recollection of ever bowling with him, but who knows?  Memory works in strange ways. After school a bunch of us often jumped in Bob Reller or Pete Drake’s car, drove up Bethlehem Pike to Flourtown, picked up the latest WIBG Top 50 sheet at the record store, and either went bowling or played miniature golf. Doug Roberts must have been part of the group. I found Doug’s email address in the last reunion booklet and inquired about where the party might have taken place.  He responded (our first contact in 59 years) that he didn’t recall the specific gig but added: Bob H. and I and several other players did do a short performance at our Class Night. There is even a picture in our yearbook attesting to our short-lived claim to fame.”
Before I spoke to Nicole Anslover’s Post World war II class about the civil rights movement in Gary and the rise of Richard Hatcher to become America’s first black mayor, she discussed the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis, emphasizing Robert Kennedy’s moderating influence and back channel negotiations with the Russian ambassador in resolving the standoff.  A student asked why the U.S. hadn’t simply made Cuba a colony after the Spanish-American War, Nicole cited the Teller Amendment and noted that military occupation was a lengthy one.  I added that the U.S. kept control of the island but without taking responsibility for the welfare of Cubans, only American business interests.

1 comment:

  1. I want to let the world know about Doctor Padman the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost, I got my love back and saved my marriage… I was married for 3years with 1kid and we lived happily until things started getting ugly and we had fights and argued almost every time… it got worse at a point that he filed for divorce… I tried my best to make him change his mind & stay with me because I love him so much and don’t want to lose him but everything just didn’t work out… he moved out of the house because it was a rented apartment and still went ahead to file for divorce… I pleaded and tried everything but still nothing worked. The breakthrough came when someone introduced me to this wonderful, great spell caster who eventually helped me out… I have never been a fan of things like this but just decided to try reluctantly because I was desperate and left with no choice… He did special prayers and used his power… Within 4 days my husband called me and he said he was sorry for all the emotional pains he had cost me, moved back to the house and we continue to live happily and our son is happy too and we are expecting our second child… (padmanlovespell@yahoo.com) I have introduced him to a lot of couples with problems across the world and they have had good news… Just thought I should share my experience because I strongly believe someone out there need’s it… You can email him through his email. padmanlovespell@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete