Saturday, May 16, 2020

Nippon Bukodan


When I woke up, mom and dad are rolling on the couch.
Rolling numbers, rock and rolling, got my Kiss records out

    Cheap Trick, “Surrender”






Nippon Bukodan is an indoor arena in Tokyo first used for judo during the 1964 Olympics.  The name means martial arts hall and is most famous for hosting rock concerts.  The Beatles played Bukodan, for example in 1966 and other acts included ABBA, Queen, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, Kiss, and many more, including Cheap Trick, whose “Live from Bukodan” album is one of my favorites.  It opens with a rousing “Hello There,” closes with “Goodnight,” and contains the Fats Domino classic “Ain’t That a Shame” and the hit single “I Want You to Want Me.” My favorite cut is “Surrender,” much superior to the studio version and a staple for Dave’s Band “Voodoo Chili,” before which he’d often invite me up to sing the chorus with him.  I saw the power pop band from Rockford, Illinois, led by guitarist Rick Nielson and singer Robin Zandar twice at the Holiday Star in Merrillville, once in the tenth row with Dave, a niece, and her boyfriend.  The warm-up band drummer threw a sharp-pointed broken drum stick into the audience that landed between the two.  It could have taken an eye out.




“Someone's got it in for me
They're planting stories in the press
Whoever it is I wish they'd cut it out quick
But when they will I can only guess”

    Bob Dylan, “Idiot Wind”


Bob Dylan’s earlier albums “The Times They Are A-Changin’” (1964) and “Highway 61 Revisited” (1965) had a greater impact on music and society, but my favorite Dylan recording was his fifteenth studio effort, “Blood on the Tracks” (1975).  Initially receiving mixed reviews, it is one of Dylan’s most personal and has since been acclaimed as a classic.  Side one opens with “Tangled Up in Blue” and “Simple Twist of Fate” and contains “Idiot Wind,” which I inevitably sing along to; the highlight of side two is the tale of “Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts.”  What a treat from the ever-surprising minstrel of folk and pop, known affectionately to Tom Petty, George Harrison, and Jeff Lynne as Boo Wilbury.


“Don’t let me down

Take me to another shore”

    “Alda Reserve, “Ancient Lies





My favorite band that hardly anyone has heard of is Alda Reserve, whose lone album was “Love Goes On” (1979).  The brainchild of keyboardist Brad Ellis, it was released by Sire records after legendary music executive Seymour Stein (who signed the Talking Heads, Ramones and Pretenders) heard the band at New York’s CBGBs.  When “Love Goes On” received mediocre reviews, the record company failed to promote it. Compared unfairly to The Doors and not punk enough for purists, the album nevertheless got airplay on Chicago radio station WMET, “the mighty MET,” (now a country station), where I must have heard it.  There’s not a bad song on the album, which includes “Some Get Away,” “Whiter Than White,” “Pain Is Mine” (with the line, “She looked at me with kamikaze eyes”), and my favorite, “Overnight Jets.”  I know still know every word to “Overnight Jets.”  There aren’t many; each verse contains a four-syllable phrase repeated four times: “Overnight Jet,” “Land on the Dunes,” “When the Windows Shine,” and “Don’t Know Her Name.”  I  found Alda Reserve songs on YouTube, including a couple from the ill-fated second album never released on vinyl.  Bill Daily wrote of “Some Get Away: “This tune was my college band’s signature song.”  It opens:

    Standing on the edge of night, it takes me away
    Hiding away from the light, been waiting all day”






In a 1915 interview Brad Ellis spoke of coming to New York City and living with a cousin Virginia whom he described as an artist and commie. After moving to the Bowery and becoming part of the East Village gay and punk scenes, he began a 14-year relationship with painter Carl Apfelschnitt.  Ellis lost numerous friends during the AIDS epidemic.  He told an interviewer, “I can’t say I really knew Gary Indiana but I have had some cordial conversations with him.  I didn’t just like his book, I loved it.”  Gary Indiana (born Gary Hoisington in 1950) was a prolific author (“Rent Boy,” “Gone Tomorrow”), actor, director, playwright, and Village Voice art critic.




                                                                      Gary Indiana


I try not to dwell on inconveniences caused by the pandemic since my situation is in no way comparable to those suffering economic hardship or illness, but it would be nice to know when it will abate and what the “new normal” will be.  I recently learned that a National Humanities Conference session I’m part of was accepted as well as a paper to be presented at the Oral History Association conference.  Both are scheduled for October, also the month my high school reunion is supposed to take place.  We’ll see.

                                                     




I received this email from Elaine McKearn:

    My mother was born in Gary, Indiana 1918. She was baptized Josephine Kankowski. She attended a Catholic school until third grade. She graduated from Gary Horseman High School. She married Bert Laskowski in 1938. I was born in Gary in 1943. We have reconnected with almost all of her first cousins who all are presently living in Southeast Poland as well as near Chelm, PL and Lublin.  She died in 2009 in La Porte, Indiana as well as my father in 2000.  I recently (Jan 26, 2019) did a presentation to the Polish Genealogical Society of California at the LDS Family Center in Los Angeles.  I have a lot of memories of Gary during my childhood.


I replied that I’d like to know more about where her parents lived and works as well as her Gary experiences and added:

    Very interesting email.  As you may know, in addition to having written a history of Gary, I am co-director of the Calumet Regional Archives at IU Northwest.  We'd be interested in obtaining a copy of the paper you presented and, although closed now along with the university, would welcome a visit if you come to NW Indiana in the future.  Some of our manuscript collections might be of interest to you, as well.  We also have Horace Mann yearbooks that your mother might be in.

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank Dr Emu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Emu and told him every thing and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him, i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within 48 hours, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with via email: Emutemple@gmail.com or add him up on his whatsapp +2347012841542 is willing to help any body that need his help. 

    ReplyDelete